The Emblem of Samut Sakhon

Introduction
     Samut  Sakhon  was  formerly  called  "Tha  Chin"  probably because,  in  the  old  days,  it  had  been a trading port dealing with  a  vast  number  of  Chinese  junks.  In 1548, a town named "Sakhon  Buri"  was  established  at  the  mouth of the Tha Chin River. It was a centre for recruiting troops from various seaside towns.  The  name  of  the  town  was  changed into "Mahachai" when Khlong (can al) Mahachai was dug in 1704 to join the Tha Chin  River  at  the  town.  Later , the  town was renamed "Samut Sakhon"   by   King   Rama   IV   but   it  is  still  popularly  called "Mahachai" by the villagers.

     Samut  Sakhon  occupies  a total area of 872 square kilometres and is administratively divided into 3 districts: Muang Samut Sakhon, Krathum Baen, and Ban Phaeo. It is a major fishing port and also the biggest producer of brine salt.

Borders
North:
South:
East:
West:
Bangkok and Nakhon Pathom
Samut Songkham
Bangkok and Samut Songkham
Samut Songkham and Ratchaburi

Distance from Samut Sakhon city of nearby provinces
Bangkok
Nakhon Pathom
Ratchaburi
Samut Songkham
36 kms.
48 kms.
78 kms.
37 kms.


Distance from Samut Sakhon city to its districts
Ban Phaeo
Krathum Baen
23 kms.
14 kms.

How to get there
     The  town  is  located  28  kms.  from  Bangkok  along  Highway  No.  35, the Thon Buri-Pak Tho Highway. It is also accessible by train from the Wongwian Yai railway Station in Bangkok.